Thursday, September 16, 2010

a memorable project







One project that was memorable to me was from the class Aspects of Visual Language. For this assignment, we had to develop a cohesive system to explain common antonyms such as on/off, above/below, clean/dirty. One area of focus I tried to concentrate on throughout working on this project was to create my images for an audience knowing that it didn't matter what language or culture they were from. I was hoping to design symbols that everyone could easily understand and comprehend. In this process I made many drafts, always trying to improve upon my initial thoughts. I kept revising each piece in hopes that everyone would exactly understand each message I was trying to convey. The project was meaningful to me because I not only was creating unique imagines, but also kept the audience in mind throughout the entire process and take into account other people’s perspectives. I felt it was very important that the viewer understood what each symbol meant; otherwise the symbols would be lost. I also wanted to get across that these symbols make sense not only by itself but also related in this universal visual language as an antonyms with its corresponding term. One main lesson I discovered during this project was since I was designing symbols for simple words, I consequently felt that I needed to keep all my designs aspects equally simple. It is always important to take a step back and look at your design and see if others can take away the meaning as well. That is point that I can take with me for years to come.

1 comment:

  1. Jayme,
    As I was reading Graphic Design: The New Basics for another class I came across a section on symbol systems on p. 168. I will have my book in my studio, you should come by and check it out. It reminded me a lot of this project from Overmyer's class, and I think it could really relate to the work you are doing.

    Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete