Friday, October 8, 2010

week 5: follow up

I started out this week by continuing my research: looking for any opportunities that I could find with student organizations for possible design work. I emailed different people such as a film and engineering professor, the alumni association and LSA student government and am still waiting back to hear from them. I also followed up with the Pilates Studio from last week and have had no success so far. 3 hours

I also did some online research of design companies that have sports teams as clients such as GamePlan Creative. This studio created the design of the NBA team Charlotte Bobcats. I found a brand identity and reviewed the brainstorm list of possible team names to initial sketches of the logo to uniform designs to the creation of a mascot. This continued my interest with brand identity and I sketched what inspired me. 2 hours






On Thursday I met with the president of Common Bond Basketball, Tyrone Hicks. This non-profit company has 6 events throughout the year and I plan to market and create the distinct designs for all of the events. Hicks is most concerned about the brochures since that is his most effective marketing piece compared to flyers or email blasts. I’m excited about this avenue and it seems I have a lot of freedom with this project. Here are my initial sketches 1.5 hours



For next week I plan to research more designers, continue sketching my ideas for the first event for Common Bond, a 10-week league and tournament called Power League, and finish my proposal!

1 comment:

  1. Jayme,
    I'm happy to hear you found a group that you would like to work with. Are the brochures for promotional fundraising, straight publicity, player recruitment? What sort of work are they looking for? I posed a lot of questions to you on your review that was just handed back. I think some of these questions will be important to answer as you make design decisions. Specifically, if your goal is to play some role in improving the team skills and morale through your design work, how might you frame your work to meet these needs? Are you still at all interested in creating your own sports company to create branding for, or does your work with Common Bond fill that spot?
    Erica

    ReplyDelete